Hoover Police earns national accreditation


Hoover Municipal Court

Property Retrieval

What is the procedure for picking up personal property?

Property collected by the Police Department may, under certain circumstances, be released to the owner. For convenience, please phone the Property Clerk at (205) 444-7726 in order to set an appointment.
Normal hours for property pick-up are Monday thru Friday, 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM and 12:30 PM to 4:00 PM.
Ownership of the property must be verified, and a photo I.D. is required for property release.

For any questions, please call the Property Clerk at (205) 444-7726 or the Crime Scene Supervisor at (205) 444-7659.

Police Records

How can I get my car out of police impound?

A vehicle will be released to the legal registered owner with proof of insurance & a current U.S. Driver's License. Release forms will be issued at the Hoover Public Safety Center (Police Records), 1st floor, 2020 Valleydale Road. HOURS: Monday - Friday (except Holidays), 7:30 AM - 5 PM.

What are the reporting requirements if I have been involved in a traffic accident?

You are required by law to complete an SR-31 Form ONLY IF a motor vehicle accident caused death, personal injury, or property damage to any one owner in excess of $500 by an uninsured motorist. This form is available at www.hooverpd.com under the "Resources" Tab, "Online Forms" section or www.dps.alabama.gov/services.
For questions, contact Safety Responsibility Unit at (334) 242-4222.

How can I obtain a copy of an accident report?

Accident reports are available at the Hoover Public Safety Center 1st floor (Police Records) 2020 Valleydale Road.

HOURS: Monday-Friday: 7:30 AM-5 PM (except holidays)

Report cost (no personal checks):   Cash-$5.  If paying with a card-there is a 2.75% PROCESSING FEE ON ALL CARD TRANSACTIONS.

Call (205) 444-7739 before coming to verify that the report is complete. Reports are also available by mail. Send a certified check or money order payable to the City of Hoover and a self-addressed, postage-paid return envelope to:

Hoover Police Department, Attn: Records Unit
2020 Valleydale Road Suite 102
Hoover, AL 35244

How can I obtain a copy of an Incident/Offense report?

Incident/Offense reports are available to the VICTIM ONLY (Identification required).
Reports are available at the Hoover Public Safety Center, 1st floor, 2020 Valleydale Road, between 7:30 AM and 5 PM, Monday through Friday, except holidays.

Report cost (no personal checks):   Cash-$5.  If paying with a card-there is a 2.75% PROCESSING FEE ON ALL CARD TRANSACTIONS.

Hoover City Jail and Custody Information

What is the procedure for posting bail?

There are three types of bonds:

  • Cash: All bonds can be posted with cash money, however, some bonds are “cash only” bonds and can only be made with cash. This is a decision that is made by the Court on an individual basis. If a bond is cash only, it will be noted on the warrant. To find out what type of bond an arrested person has, you may call the Jail Booking Desk at (205)444-7737.
  • Property: If the magistrate in the Court’s office sets a bond as a “good bond”, two land property owners may use their current Tax assessment cards with good ID to post an inmate’s bond. To find out details on posting a property bond, call the Jail Booking Desk at (205)444-7737.
  • Professional Bonding Companies: There is a list of approved professional bonding companies posted in the Jail lobby with their phone numbers posted. Citizens can contact the companies directly and inquire about bonding procedures.
What are the hours of operation of the Hoover City Jail?

The Hoover City Jail operates 24/7/365.

Is there a telephone number I can call to find out if someone is in Jail?

The telephone number to call for all Jail related issues and inmate information is (205)444-7737.

How many visits can an arrestee have?

An inmate can have more than one visitor at a time with appropriate ID and staff approval (it depends on the availability of seating). The visitation schedule for inmates is as follows:

  • Male City Inmates: Fridays from 2pm to 4pm
  • Female City Inmates: Fridays from 4pm to 5pm
  • Federal Inmates, Last Name Starting with A-M: Saturdays 2pm to 5pm
  • Federal Inmates, Last Name Starting with N-Z: Sundays 2pm to 5pm
Will the Hoover City Jail staff permit inmates to receive personal items from visitors?

The Hoover City Jail does not usually accept personal items. Items are sometimes accepted in specific situations, but this is on a limited case-by-case basis. Please call the Jail at (205)444-7737 outside of visitation hours and ask to speak with a supervisor if you wish to bring an item for an inmate.

Family Services

Where can I obtain information about Domestic Violence?
  • Jefferson County: YWCA of Birmingham 24 hour crisis line (205) 322-4878
  • Shelby County: Safe House of Shelby County 24 hour crisis line (205) 669-7233
  • Alabama Coalition against Domestic Violence: (800) 650-6522
How can I obtain a Protection From Abuse order (PFA)?

It depends on where you live in the City of Hoover. The city limits of Hoover span in three different County jurisdictions: Jefferson-Birmingham division, Jefferson-Bessemer division, and Shelby County.

  • Jefferson County Birmingham division: Jefferson County Family Court (205) 325-5491
  • Jefferson County Bessemer division: Jefferson County Family Court-Bessemer Division (205) 744-3500
  • Shelby County Family Court: (205) 669-3760
How can I report child abuse?
At what point is a child legally considered to be an adult?

For the purposes of criminal prosecution, a child becomes an adult at age eighteen. Legal emancipation, age at which a child is legally released from parental control and supervision, is nineteen.

Victim/Witness Assistance