Lieutenant Chris Graves ,
Driver, Detention Supervisor
From 1971 until
1985 the first Hoover City Jail consisted of two cells situated next to the
communications area in Hoover’s “first free standing” City Hall located at 1631
Montgomery Highway. Patrol officers processed inmates and the dispatchers
supervised the inmates because there were no Hoover Detention Officers assigned
to supervise jail inmates.
In 1986, the
Hoover Police Department moved into the Hoover Municipal Center at 100 Municipal
Drive. The jail was upgraded to six single occupancy cells and three holding
cells in the booking area. Patrol officers continued to process inmates and
dispatchers continued to perform the additional duty of supervising
In December 1986, the police
department hired its first detention staff. During the early 1990s, the jail
cells were “double-bunked” which increased jail
capacity from six cells to sixteen cells. With the rapid growth of Hoover and
the continual growth of the police department throughout the 1990s, the jail
maintained full capacity and on occasion exceeded capacity, thus, proving the
need for a larger jail facility.
Hoover City Jail moved to its current location at 2020 Valleydale
Road on August 2, 2004.
The current jail has sixty-four cells located in four different cell blocks. The
facility also has medical cells, isolation cells and holding cells in other
areas of the facility bringing the total number of available beds to
seventy-two. The current jail staff consists of: a Lieutenant; a Sergeant; a
Detention Supervisor and five Shift supervisors; and fifteen Detention Officers
performing the daily supervision of inmates.